Tampa Slip and Fall Attorney
There are over three million older people treated for falls in emergency rooms every year. Many of these falls occur in a public place or on someone else’s private property. A slip and fall can happen for various reasons, but if your fall was due to someone else’s negligence, you might have a claim for damages. Injuries in a slip and fall are typically severe, especially as you get older. A fall can affect your spine, bones, and brain. If you or someone you love was injured in a slip and fall accident, let the Tampa slip and fall attorneys at Moore Law help.
Common Causes of Slip and Falls
Numerous issues and events can lead to someone falling. Property owners have a legal duty to maintain their property and repair any hazards they knew of or should’ve reasonably known about. Some common reasons for slip and falls include:
- Wet or slippery floors, including standing water, can be very hazardous. The water can come from large open doors with a lot of foot traffic, leaky windows, floors not adequately cleaned, spills, and more.
- Uneven floors or carpets can also cause someone to fall. Earthquakes and foundational shifts can account for some uneven ground. Poorly installed floors, damage, or lifting carpet can be the source of uneven indoor floors.
- Cords and other items on the floor could cause someone to slip or trip and fall. You should not run cords across your room where people walk.
- Improper lighting, or a lack of lighting, can cause someone to slip and fall in dark places like a parking lot.
- Broken railings on stairs can cause someone to lose their balance and fall.
- Sidewalk damage can be treacherous for older people walking down the street. There is an expectation that sidewalks be in working order and free from any significant hazards, but time, weather, and even construction can leave a sidewalk in disrepair.
Common Injuries in a Slip and Fall
Injuries in a slip and fall can be severe and life-threatening in some cases. Do not assume that slip and fall accidents are always minor. Some of the more serious injuries we see in these cases include:
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs)
- Spinal cord injuries, including paralysis
- Neck/back injuries
- Broken bones
- Torn muscles, ligaments, or tendons
Brain injuries are prevalent in slip and fall accidents. The Centers for Disease Control say that falls are the most common cause of traumatic brain injuries nationwide. Hip fractures are also common injuries in a slip and fall. Older people may require hip surgery afterward, leading to other complications, such as a stroke.
Contact a Tampa Slip and Fall Attorney
Pursuing a slip and fall claim in Florida is complicated. Property owners will vigorously defend against these cases as there are prior complaints about fraudulent claims. While there are some documented cases of people trying to collect compensation for falls they caused themselves, there is no arguing that these severe injuries are genuine. Responsible property owners need to pay for your damages when they are legally responsible for the accident.
To learn more about pursuing a personal injury claim for your damages, contact the Tampa slip and fall attorneys at Moore Law today.