Man Hit by Box Truck on I-275
Pedestrian accidents are common in Tampa. In many cases, the driver is at fault. However, there are also cases in which a pedestrian makes poor decisions and walks across a busy road. This can lead to fatality.
Sadly, this was recently the case in Tampa. A man was crossing Interstate 275 when he was hit and killed by a box truck. The fatal accident happened on the afternoon of August 16 at Busch Boulevard,
A 40-year-old man was walking across I-275 for unknown reasons. A box truck hit him, causing fatal injuries. He died at the accident scene.
The southbound lanes of I-275 were closed at Fowler Avenue. They later reopened. The crash is still under investigation.
Pedestrian crashes are on the rise. Typically, 1 in 6 fatal crash victims are pedestrians. There are many factors involved in pedestrian crashes. They include the following:
- Alcohol is a factor in nearly half of pedestrian accidents. And it’s not just the driver who is intoxicated. In many cases, the pedestrian is intoxicated as well.
- The higher the speed, the more likely a pedestrian accident will occur. Also, crashes at high speeds often result in more serious injuries.
- Most pedestrian deaths occur in urban areas as opposed to urban areas. Also, while pedestrians are often found at intersections, most fatalities occur away from intersections, such as on highways.
- Time of day. Visibility is a factor in pedestrian accidents. This means that darkness makes it harder to see. Therefore, pedestrian accidents are more likely to occur at night.
- Children and seniors are more likely to get hit by a car. Children often are unaware of the dangers of vehicles, while seniors often have vision and hearing impairments that make it harder to identify vehicles.
Common causes of crashes include:
- Running a red light when a pedestrian has entered the road.
- Turning at an intersection without checking for pedestrians first
- Stopping the car in the crosswalk.
- Pulling out of a parking lot, driveway, or alley without looking out for pedestrians.
- Swerving around a stopped vehicle that has stopped to allow a pedestrian to cross.
Drivers need to be alert at all times. They should be mindful of pedestrians walking into the street from various directions. Distracted driving is a common cause of pedestrian accidents because motorists are not always paying attention.
Contact a Personal Injury Attorney Today
Crossing a busy road is never a good idea. Cars are often speeding on interstates and cannot always slow down in time. Accidents are common.
A Tampa pedestrian accident attorney from Moore Law can assist you, whether you are a driver or a pedestrian. If you have been involved in a car crash, we can help you pursue a claim for compensation. Schedule a free consultation with our office by filling out the online form or calling 813-510-5400.